Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vacation Justification!


What happens when we have an event coming up that suggests excessive eating? Examples of this might be something like a Holiday dinner, special occasion, or just going out of town. Here is what happens. Let’s say for example today is the first day of the month and you know that on the 15 of this month you will be going out of town for 1 week. Your trip will consist of eating and relaxing. Your options are this. You can eat really well and exercise for the next two weeks before you leave or you can start slacking right now. Here is the problem that I face when I have a trip coming up. I have an all or nothing mentality. I think, well I will be going out of town and eating without bounds for a week so why not start now. I don’t really know why this thought makes sense but I justify it somehow. For one reason or another I feel it’s a good idea to start my bad habits early. Little do I know that doing this my bad habits will carry beyond my vacation!

The naughty habits and diet slacking all starts with the idea. The idea that whatever I do can be reversed. I know that whatever weight I gain can be lost. The downside of this thinking is when I eat 1000 calories it only takes several minutes. To remove 1000 calories I will spend more than an hour on a treadmill. Eating this 1000 calorie snack is essentially a waste of time. I have started thinking about the cruise and what I will be doing. I am going to enjoy eating whatever I want whenever I want. This sounds wonderful and completely justified. My body starts to think about how fun this will be enjoying excessive eating without exercising. I will be eating very badly for a full week so I should prime the pump and start eating badly now. Right? Justification is the weakness in every healthy plan. I can eat this, because I will work out later. I will work out later, because today I have to things to do. The snowball effect has begun. Justifying why we are allowed to do something naughty can really lead to troublesome outcomes. Now that I have fully justified my bad behavior and made it acceptable to eat badly and skip workouts before a cruise, we go on our cruise.

The cruise is quite simply a week of gluttony. You eat all the time. This is what keeps you busy. Now if I had been good the weeks leading up to the cruise I wouldn’t feel so guilty about what I was doing. Here is the problem when you are on vacation. The guilt that can keep you motivated does not stick around long. It will soon pass and you will be on to eating whatever by the shovel full. This is what happened to me. So I ran with it and ate what I wanted. I didn’t eat excessive volume, more like what I wanted and when. I felt like eating badly in low volume was “better” than eating larger volumes of the same food. When you are on a cruise or vacation etc. it can be very hard to keep focus. I just did the best I could.

The cruise is long over and I am still experiencing the aftershock of “eh why not eat it?” I know this mindset will pass and I will get back to basics slowly. Has this ever happened to you or am I the only one?



Thank you for reading
-Jay Schuerman





15 comments:

  1. Haha! Yes! My husband and I are starting a new diet/workout routine this week. We were cracking up reading this. We went on a cruise in April and booked another one this coming April lol let the diet begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insightful words! I'm going to Seattle this coming weekend for a trip, so I'm trying to be super good this week, otherwise my effort is all for nothing! I can relate to your train of thought here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  3. Jay-
    I have never been on a cruise before but if I did I would eat myself into oblivion and relish every second of it! Don't worry about It- you're already eating better, One thing I learned from you before was to allow yourself a cheat day...I still do it thanks for that! Love you guys, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jay you aren't the only one ok although I didn't really eat more before our trip to Florida I put on 4 lbs whilst away and since I've been home I can't stop eating I lost loads of weight prior to our holiday and for some reason just want to eat everything now it's frustrating and hard but you will get there and I hope so will I the determination you showed before will come back THANKYOU for sharing this with us and good luck I'm with you every step of the way x Debbie

      Delete
  4. Oh boy....here come the bullshit complainers. This gets so irritating to read these negative comments that follow your lovely family...please don't let it stop you from continuing your blog and blogs....no one can ever please everyone out there. Keep doing what you're doing. You look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My lifetime moto when it comes to health and diets "one in the wagon,one foot draggin"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget that quote Jay...about the juicy peaches...lol so annoying to see how critical and opinionated people can be... (just wrote a long comment to ya, but somehow, I deleted it...but that just about sums up what I was saying..lol) looking forward to more blogs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard a expert on Oprah talk about this years ago and it had always stuck with me. That everyone has slip ups and set backs. However, people who are so all or nothing and say, "well I messed up today and ate a cookie, so I might as well quit trying for today", will never be successful. Was the cookie bad? Sure, but it's compounded times 10 if you do it all day long just because of one slip. Instead, the healthier approach to a slip up is to have it, but not let it stop you from continuing your program for the day. One slip or cookie won't kill your plan. However, convincing yourself that your slip should continue for the rest of the day/week/ month or whatever will. Hopefully that will help you, it changed my way of thinking about diet slip ups when I heard it. So many times I would slip and then justify eating whatever I wanted for the rest of that day because in my mind, my slip up had already ruined my day. Never did I think that I was making my slip up into a much bigger slip by letting it continue to affect the rest of my day. One slip....not so bad, a whole day of not sticking to my program and I am in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Grams always said one Oreo does not a binge make....we always thought she meant that to mean yeah, go ahead eat the whole bag! ;-) Really though its best if you stop after just one cookie.

    ReplyDelete