Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Motivate My Motivation

Why is staying motivated so difficult when it comes to staying healthy? Motivation is hard for me because I like to see quick results and know that what I do now, will benefit me later. Becoming healthy is all about the small steps. Small steps taken by eating better and moving more, will yield a healthier lifestyle. Eating worse and moving less will do the opposite. Imagine for a second that you are in terrible shape. You decide to eat one “healthy” meal and go for one walk. This singular event will not make you healthier unless you continue to live this way. Now, imagine you are an Olympic athlete and you decide to eat one “unhealthy” meal and skip a workout. You will not lose all your progress, unless you continue to live that way. A single action in the opposite direction will not have a dramatic change on your goals or appearance. Consistency is the key along with all the small steps to get there. Having a little contrast on how you are currently living may help you realize how you want to spend the rest of your life. 

Clearly, I am not an Olympic athlete by any stretch of the imagination or extremely unhealthy. My "unhealthy" little steps are starting to takie a toll both on my mind and body. I have been a bit of a slacker on my diet compared to how I was eating. This occasional bad eating is starting to take over. I am starting to feel a bit guilty for my actions when I crave ice cream etc. My awareness is the key to breaking my bad habits and not feeling guilty for being human. I am not perfect but I do stay motivated.

Thank you for reading
-Jay Schuerman

3 comments:

  1. This is such a good blog! you being motivated keeps me motivated. Although being healthy is fun and the image in the mirror is so much better when being healthy, it is hard to stick to such a strict diet, expecially with kids. You see your kids eating mac and cheese, with grapes, yogurt, or what have you, and that mac and cheese looks so good, but man those carbs are just killing you in the end. regardless Jay. you have made such progress from then to now. you are an active parent and loving husband. most people arnt motivated enough to do half of the things you do! keep up the amazing work you do. we are all rooting for you in the end

    xoxo Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mum of 5 I struggle with temtation too.I had a huuuge gall stone at the age of 30 which lead to my gallbladder being completely removed,i decided then i would completely change my way of eating.Now 3 stone lighter i enjoy healthy food, i go to the gym and can run about with my kiddies, of course i have days (or weeks) where i just want to munch on junk but like you say, im only human lol.You have done so well already,im sure you will be back to your usual healthy ways in no time.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly said Jay! Thank you for this! I am in a similar situation right now. I just have to DO IT! I feel motivated and then I tend to slack. It is so hard but I know it's gonna be worth it in the end! You are always great to listen to and you truly do inspire! :)

    ReplyDelete