Monday, September 15, 2014

Finally A Weight Update!!


Why is our weight an unspoken conversation? How often have you ever met someone, introduced yourself and then ask them, “How much do you weigh?” This isn’t something we do in our everyday life. We rarely give value to how much a person weighs when we meet them. Then why do we put so much weight on weight? I have never understood the social weight cookie cutter.
 Imagine for one second you are living in space on the ISS (International Space Station) you instantly “weigh” nothing! You can’t step on the scale because you and it simply float around. A scale is absolutely irrelevant in zero gravity. With more gravity like the sun for example I would way nearly 6000#’s*. Let’s say for a minute the ISS has large mirror on it. In space you have a weight of zero but how do you look in the mirror. Do you like what you see, how your clothes fit etc. If I am “overweight” but look and feel good then who cares! Right? Now keep in mind while we are in space weighing zero something does stay constant, what we are made of. This is important.

Pretend your weight is exactly what your Dr. and society say it should be but you don’t feel good. You are weak, tired, soft and don’t like your physique in the mirror. Wow, this really changes things but for some reason it is more acceptable. I bring this up because currently I weigh 215#’s. This is 6 pounds heavier than I was at my lowest weight before I became a diet slacker.  I am not discouraged, fat comes and goes. My Dr. suggested I lose a little more weight to be healthy. What is he basing this on? How I feel? How I look? So I asked and he replied, “We base it on BMI (Body Mass Index).” Well how accurate can that be?  BMI is (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems*. How does this factor in muscle, bone, organs etc.? “Weight” is how much my body weighs but not what it is made of. Imagine if someone has a high BMI due to steel bones but is very “healthy”? Imagine someone extremely “unhealthy” but has a low BMI due to bird bones and never retaining water. Is BMI simply a ratio of weight and height to determine how healthy you are? I should have asked how well the BMI works in space!

Thank you for reading. 

Jay

13 comments:

  1. You should really credit the articles where you're taking this information from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The articles are given credit below my blog entry. Did I miss something? Thank you for reading.

      Delete
    2. I didn't see them before. I work in fitness and read quite a bit on health and nutrition. I just don't want to see you possibly getting a bad name for using others' words. I wish you the best of luck. This is a forever journey many will take though their life.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jay! Your"weight" will never change the fact gutsy you are AMAZEBALLS!! ADORE your parenting skills! And your family is inspiration funny and super entertaining!! Never let haters weigh you down! But Iam. inspired by all your food choices! Even the less "healthful" ones! Hugs from Sheridan .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks auto correct for gutsy ! Sorry lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ISS, you took it there! Ha Ha Love your humor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Keep up the great work! You look fantastic! I'd live to see a meal plan for a week in your life.. I'm always looking for inspiration when it comes to my own menu..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Great ideas!

      Delete
  6. Love your attitude toward life!! You really are a real life inspiration to us. You let us know that weight is a life journey...ups and downs. You have to be comfortable with yourself, and do what makes you feel good. Plus 20 or minus 20, it's just about being healthy❤️ Thanks Jay!! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being so kind. It is a journey that never stops! Thank you for reading :)

      Delete