Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Weight Update (Day13)

Today will be the day. I am sick of being sick. I have been sick for days, out of the gym since Thursday and starting to feel guilty. My plan is to get back today. My cold has pretty much gone away, so I think it will be possible. I don't feel the best when I get up this morning, but after I eat and hydrate I believe that will all change. Meal 1, egg whites a piece of toast and a full Nalgene bottle. I have spent my off days recovering from my sickness, stretching and eating properly but I need some gym time. All the years I spent in the gym before, I learned a lot of lessons and one of the most important is to always listen to your body. My body told me it was sick and needs time off, so that is what I gave it.

My meals are already prepared for today. I will just go over to the refrigerator and grab a meal when I need it. This works very well for me, otherwise my meal time comes and I am trying to find something to eat. Meal 2, I eat one of my chicken rice meals. I am starving already and this makes me happy. I know that if I am hungry, then I am feeling a lot better. I eat this meal in what seems like 5 bites. When I finish, I am still hungry, check the clock and wait for the next meal. The best way I can describe this is I am treating my body like a fireplace. I am constantly putting small pieces of wood in all the time. This will make the fire burn very hot all day. If I just put wood on the fire every once in a while the fire won't be as hot or go out. Two hours go by and it is time for Meal 3. This meal is also precooked chicken and rice. I am feeling pretty good so far, so I think going to the gym is in order today. I finish my meal 3, then I head off to the gym.


It is good to be back here.  I don't know if it is the euphoric feeling you get when you leave. Maybe it is the feeling of accomplishment, "I did it" mentality. Whatever it is, I miss it and I'm glad to make it back. Now let's get to work.

I get inside and the first thing I really want to do is weigh myself.  When I first came to the gym I weighed myself and the scale read 240#'s. Now the scale, 13 days later reads 231#'s. I dropped 9 pounds! Seeing this means something is changing and that makes me happy. Time to do what I came here to do. I start off first with the plank. My first set and feel really strong, this is actually getting easier. I am so happy when muscles get stronger, it is such a great feeling when you can do something easier. I didn't come here for easy. I pick up my foot and do the plank on one foot, 3 times. Now that was not easy, much better. Next, I plan to do a little circuit training. Ball crunches, medicine ball rotations (both on a stability ball), dips, resistance band shoulder routine, then curls. I repeated the circuit three times. I then proceed to do pushups with a stability ball. I do 3 sets of 15 and it was easier than the first time I did them. Maybe it is because I am 9 pounds lighter?  Time for some cardio.

My dearest treadmill, where art though. Shall we be best friends for 46 minutes? What's that, you have nothing going on right now. Great, me either, let's do this. I use the treadmill that has no sound on the tv, this is the one I have come to like. This treadmill also has a location under a cooling vent with a subtle breeze blowing over it. Something I really enjoy. My headphones are in, iphone tuned to Spotify, let's go. I am 3 minutes into this and already thinking to myself how do I make it 46 minutes each time? This is going to be terrible. The thought pops in my mind, "hey, why not just do 30? You are getting over a cold." That is true but I came here to workout my body, not talk myself out of it. I will do 46 minutes or bust. I finally hit my 30 minute mark and have found a mental trance. The monitor in front of my face is off so I can see my shadowy reflection of myself. Staring at myself has for some reason relaxed me. I feel pretty good right now and a fleeting thought pops in my head, "do 50 minutes." Really! Whenever I think I can do it, I will do it. It looks like I will be going 50 minutes. Me and my bright ideas. The 45 mark comes and goes, I now have 5 to go. Lucky for me I have a person that just got on next to me and he is shadow boxing while running. I find this to be pretty impressive since I can barely walk on my treadmill. I become motivated to get out the last 5 minutes. If this person can shadow box and run, I can do 5 minutes longer. I turn to my music for a good motivational song. I took a screenshot of my phone to show you what came up. Spotify has a radio feature, I guess it felt I need to hear this. The 50 minute mark is only seconds away. I am glad I didn't say longer, because I am over it right now. I finish and feel pretty good. I am happy I decided to come today. I feel relaxed, euphoric, less sick, but very hungry. Time to go home.


When I get home I feel like a stray dog that hasn't eaten for days. I am so hungry, all I can think about is food. I am a post workout zombie, "foooood." I locate some instant oatmeal. Pop 2 packets in a bowl, run some hot water over it then devour it. The oatmeal tastes so good to me right now. If you have ever had 2 packets of instant oatmeal, you know it isn't very much food but tasted great. I feel like they changed something with them, because that oatmeal was amazing. I highly recommend getting some.














Thank you for reading
-Jay

22 comments:

  1. I like your way of blogging.. very interesting :) and good for you! You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Jay!! That's awesome. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite oatmeal is Strawberries and cream uh delicious! Yay go Jay! Good job keep up the hard work! Your motivation to stay healthy and fit motivates me! Thank you for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda Culler9/17/13, 9:01 AM

    You are doing so great jay ...i am so happy for you. Way to go!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blogging style, feels very honest, like eavesdropping in your thoughts! About the oatmeal, things taste better when we are hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a big inspiration Jay!!!! I also have struggled with weight and started fully working out about a year ago, it gives such an amazing feeling! I think I've become addicted! lol I don't weigh myself anymore though, I don't want to get traumatized when I don't lose a pound hahaha Keep up the good work 'cause it's all gonna pay off at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so inspiring!!! i adore your family. God Bless always

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nine pounds is great, especially considering you were sick and missed the gym a few days. You're making steady progress, and that is the kind that will help you keep going! Great job! Would love to see your chicken and rice meal recipe too if you have time. It sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been watching "The Schuerman Show for over a year now. You are an awesome inspiration to all of us. & we all see the difference in your weight loss journey. Reading & watching you guys is actually inspiring me to get back on my weight loss journey. "WE should always challenge ourselves" I used to say till I had children. Then it's gotten harder for me to loose the pregnancy weight. But I am starting back on this again. I'm glad I subscribed to your family vlog channel. May GOD bless you guys & continue with this blogs of ENCOURAGEMENT. Thank you Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you write!
    Good job Jay, congratulations on getting fit and already losing nine lbs in such a short amount of time!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the honesty! I always try to talk myself out of doing the amount of time I before told myself I would do. And I always regret it afterwards! Proud of you for going breaking down mental barriers and going that extra 5 minutes! and congrats on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 9 lbs is awesome! And it's so noticable. Good job , Jay !
    I love the Quaker oatmeal as well - it's really good !
    Luckily i know someone who regularly visits the Usa - unfortunately we don't have it in Germany.
    Keep going !
    I love your blog , btw ( if you haven't noticed already);) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jay you are doing so well! you are an amazing father and husband! Sam is beautiful and the kids well they are so adorable and smart! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are doing so good Jay!! Nine pounds down, wow! It's easy to see in the vlogs that you have lost weight, you looked great before & you look great now, the only difference is you feel better about yourself now:) Look forward to reading your blog everyday

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super Jay!!! You keep up with the good work

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing Jay! We know it`s not easy but you are doing an amazing job. You are a great father, have the cuttest kids in the world and the best wife! Big hugs from sunny Brazil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think you're an amazing person, i enjoy you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that song...the humpty dance heres your chance to do the hump lol. I eat that same oatmel but the weight control/management one. It's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that song...the humpty dance heres your chance to do the hump lol. I eat that same oatmel but the weight control/management one. It's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to go, Jay!! I know we're all so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete