Friday, September 6, 2013

The Real Test (Day 3)


Hunger is upon me, it has consumed my mind. All I think about is food.  I woke in the middle of the night and thought about a snack. I just want to get up, and eat a bowl of anything.  It doesn't matter, just put some food in it. I really don't mind what you put in front of me because all foods sound very exciting to me. While I am laying here in bed, in the middle of the night thinking about food, I may as well go pee again. The amount of water I have been consuming has really made me a regular tenant at the loo. I feel as though I may have turned into a giant straw and when I drink I go, like a fountain you would see in a park. Anyway, I get back to sleep and dream about eating.

When I wake up, I felt a teeny bit more alert. I must have slept many times better to feel that tiny bit better. I am really sore and wishing for mores sleep, but I am ready to get on with my day. This feeling of energy caught me by surprise. I sit up, then fall back to my pillow. WOW, abs, how are you this morning! I rolled to my side, placed my foot on the floor and stood up. That is how I got out of my bed this morning. I would of loved it if I could have sat up, and thought about my pain. My body has other plans, no thinking, here is a dose of pain. The pain from working out is not unfamiliar to me, I remember it from years ago. I think I just remember that I had post workout pain, not how bad it hurt. Who remembers pain, and how it truly felt, other than that you had it?

Pee, eat, pee, eat, pee, I feel like I have a newly acquired hamster running on a wheel in my head and all it can say is eat, and pee. When I don't have to eat, I have to pee, if for some reason, I don't have to do both, I hurt. This is what fitness is all about and I know it only gets better and I will be so accustomed to this lifestyle again. I can remember when it was everything I could do, just to get sore and now I walk through a gym and I can't even sit back. Breakfast now is a little more appealing to me than normal, this is great. I devour my eggs and toast, meal 1 done. Check time, I will eat again in 2 hours.

Today is Sam's play date with her friend. I am planning on a play date with my friend Wolverine (if you watch TheSchuermanShow you know who this is :). I love to play video games and he bought Diablo 3. It only makes sense for me to help him check out this new game. If I am going to be at someones house I will need food. He doesn't eat every 2 hours and I know he doesn't have the kind of food I am interested in eating. It is too important to me to continue with this goal so I am going to pack a lunch per se. I grab my lunch box and load it up with my scheduled meals. I will pack enough meals so I can go straight to the gym from his house. Perfect, meals packed, off I go.

I get to my friends house, brought in my lunch box and we played Diablo 3. This is a great game if you are wondering. The problem with it being a great game and me being a gamer and having a gamer friend, I played past my scheduled gym time. Now the internal dilemma begins and the procrastinator in all of us uses that charming, convincing voice. I think to myself, "ah it's cool I can go later." Well what if later doesn't come? That is what got me in this mess in the first place. Then the thought, "just skip today, and make it up tomorrow." REALLY! I have only been at this for 2 days and already I am thinking about skipping. This is ridiculous, that is like starting a job and calling in sick after two days because you are playing video games. But when it comes to working out I am my own boss, king of my destiny, destroyer of my own fat and creator of my temple. Well, these video games are amazing too. I eat my banana and think harder about what I will do. This is difficult, but if I am serious I must suck it up. I made a promise to myself and it is very simple. Gym, Monday thru Friday, Saturday and Sunday I rest. Simple and I can do this, but I must do it now. When I remembered and reinforce my goal, I again get off my butt. This is when I stopped playing, got up and headed to the gym. I can't believe how many times I get off my butt during this lifestyle change. How much have I been on my butt?

On my way to the gym, hungry and not motivated, but guess what? I chose to go, and going makes me a winner. I beat procrastination with a decision. This is what I am doing and it will not make me sit around any longer. I really try to listen to my body when I work out, diet, etc. I am very sore, and my first steps are to get my body "warmed up" to the gym for a bit. I need to let things simmer down a little, so I get on my best friend the treadmill. I tune the television to HBO and watch a great movie "Shaun of the Dead." Today is a lot better than yesterday, all the way up to the 35 minute mark when and unidentified person got on the only treadmill next to me. I shower, they don't, simple. I move to an elliptical machine and finish my 10 minutes of cardio. I didn't continue watching my movie, but at least I only have 10 minutes to go. This 10 minutes was long, but I did it and with a sigh of completion, I leave the gym.

When I leave the gym I notice every restaurant must have a box fan in the window blowing out all the great smells from inside the kitchen. I was seriously in heaven walking to my car, thinking about how yummy all the food would taste. I will treat myself on Sunday, but not today. Sunday is my cheat day, and I can't wait for it to be here. Without a cheat day I think failure is the only option. All my clients had cheat days, I had a cheat day. It gives me something to look forward too, then feel guilty about. But 4 days a month will not kill my goal, so I say bring on some yummy food.

I get home and feel very tired. I feel as though I am running on fumes. I am not sleepy tired, lethargic, or sick feeling. I actually feel very calm, peaceful, but ready to go. It is a euphoric feeling I may be confusing with sleepiness. I usually just think to myself, "my body is burning off that fat and making me a sexy beast!" Well that is what I tell myself is going on inside my body when I am hungry. So for meal 5 I have myself a very nice avocado, salsa, bean, spinach, tomato salad and some chicken breast. I even licked the bowl.

I am very happy with my past couple days, and even more excited reading all of your comments on here, fb, twitter, instagram etc. Knowing you are reading, helps me keep going! Thank you.


My packed lunch.


 Amazing you must try it: 
Avocado, black beans, tomato, salsa, spinach

Thank you!

Jay

28 comments:

  1. I've been there too! But Oh man, it does feel great when you start to see results! Keep on going!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to get off my lazy butt and get this weight off your doing great keep going

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I am the same way. I don't have the same willpower as you do. Reading your blog gives me the motivation to get off my bum.Thank you Jay! Keep up the great job. Way to push yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your awesome and kick ass when you need to! I was thinking of starting to work out too! Keep up the good work. Hugs & Loves Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. i started 8 weeks ago and boy does it get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! Good for you jay! The first 2 wks I think are the hardest.. So for you to defeat that little voice telling you not to go to gym, i pat you on the back and say " keep on trucking"

    ReplyDelete
  7. So proud of you Jay. I'm in the same struggle as you. It's so hard all I think about is good to. I believe you can do it. The first few weeks are the worst. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're truly an inspiration Jay! Keep ut the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your very inspiring Jay, just keep with it the first week is always the hardest getting into a new routine but once you start seeing the results it will motivate you even more! and you totally right everybody needs a cheat day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad you hang in there! It's verry inspiring to start again. I quite very easily with workouts, but what you wrote is true and I have to quip that in my mind. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad you hang in there! It's verry inspiring to start again. I quite very easily with workouts, but what you wrote is true and I have to quip that in my mind. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love The Way You Write! :) Good Luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just what I need to read to give me the motivation to start my own healthy journey! Thanks Jay, you're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So proud of you Jay, you are doing awesome! Stay motivated:) BTW you are an amazing writer, I'm convinced you could write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. keep it up bro we are with you this journey, we should start a forum where all us folks can give out advice and tips to keep going

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just started watching your guys videos and I just wanted to say that I love watching your beautiful family!! Your kids are absolutely adorable!! I'm very proud of you for getting off your butt lol and going to the gym!! You will be a sexy beast before you know it!! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing, keep going Jay!
    Do you eat 6 FULL meals a day? Or 3 meals and 3 snacks?
    And is there any particularly reason you eat 6 a day?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep it up Jay! We're all really proud of you and know that you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was so motivational to read! Just knowing that I'm not the only one who has to dig deep for that willpower! Way to go Jay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Go JAY!! Good job man! I have started my workout/healthy lifestyle routine 3 days ago as well. Your motivation motivates me!! Keep it up!! GO JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job Jay!! I really need to get with it too.. my downside is loving junk food, hating to cook, and favoring pop over water!!.. But soon... I have a plan to start soon (as soon as Im not sick)... one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. " I even licked the bowl" ;] Tomorrow is a better day! Its Sunday! Well its Sunday for me, here in South Korea already haha keep it up buddy!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love reading these posts. It makes me feel like I'm truly not the only person with these feelings. I work out, see a bag of chips and consume it, then hate myself for doing it! It is a vicious cycle. I love your idea of having one cheat day a week and I am going to try the same thing. Keep it up Jay what you are doing is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats to "Your New Way of Life"....Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings as you go on your new fitness journey! As time goes on, I'm sure you'll find it much easier, as starting something new is a period of adjustment. I look forward to your posts, and Best of Health to You!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jay I've been following the shuerman show since when you posted the video with you and sam talking about her first pregnancy, phoenix was into her belly and the two of you gave me a huge amount of serenity. now that I read this daily struggle, I find that your fight is exactly the same as mine: I started my long way to a fit and healthy body two weeks ago, I exercise everyday except for sundays, when I allow myself to eat some treaties. Today, this sunday, was a complete mess: I ate everything I had at hand, luckily the most damaging thing was a punch of dates, so no big deal, but you know I felt like giving it all up, and then I come here and I read about your firm will and I happen to think: tomorrow is another day. Thank you for sharing your emotions, good luck, keep fighting and DIG DEEPER! :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good job Jay! I watched a documentary called "Forks over Knives" it really opened my eyes about food. It is worth watching :) P.S. I love your families daily vlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are an amazing writer. You should write a book. Such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well done Jay keep smiling and keep strong you're doing so well x

    ReplyDelete