Thursday, September 5, 2013

So Far So Good! (Day 2)

When you wake up in the morning, it should be a pleasant feeling. The feeling recharged, refreshed, and ready to start your day. My morning is the exact opposite of those feelings. I am laying here feeling drained, messy and ready to sleep my day away. The pain I am currently feeling is normal but very uncomfortable. If this were any other morning I might be writing this from the doctors office. I would say to the doctor, "I fell asleep, got beat by bat wielding meanies, then I woke up and came here." His response might be something like this, "did you work out yesterday?" I know from experience I will feel worse tomorrow, but bring the pain, leave the fat! 

I finally decide to move my body to the edge of the bed, sit there and think about what I have gotten myself into. This pain is familiar, I do miss it, but at the same time it is much easier doing what I want, when I want. Having a lifestyle with no discipline may be easier, but the sacrifice is to great. More jiggle, less endurance but I can eat and do what I want. The internal battle between lazy and work has begun, it's day two and I already feel like quitting. If you can go to the gym to workout, then you get get out of bed. Up we go, time to eat. 

I will no longer eat breakfast, lunch or dinner. The meals I eat are numerical and ascend every 2 hours. I like to eat 6 meals a day and now I must start with meal 1/breakfast. I dislike eating breakfast the most. I must force myself to eat it everyday. If I could choose, I would never eat breakfast, but have a huge dinner. I cook up 4 eggs and have 2 slices of whole wheat bread. I am very thirsty, I must also hydrate, but water will be my only source. I will only get my calories from food, not drink. 

I am very sore, tired, and now I am hungry too. I knew I had good reasons to put this off for so long. Why did I love it so much before? Time will tell but I will not get down. My heart will be in better shape and I can run with my kids without feeling like a fish out of water. Positive thinking goes along way when you are working out and it is my best friend along with Wilson the Nalgene bottle. With his cute little blue body and black perforated strapped lid that I put my pinkie through when I carry him everywhere. 

It is getting time to go to the gym, and I must eat before I go. I have 2 meals in me already, now for #3. This will be 2 slices of whole wheat bread and tablespoon of peanut butter.

I have a plan and will stick to it. That way I can save time and energy. If I don't have a plan when I go, I will just walk around in circles thinking about what I should be doing. I make my way to the treadmill. This thing and I are going to become very good friends. The treadmills they have in this gym are very nice, comfortable to walk on, and have a T.V. to distract me from any agony. I press a few buttons and I am off. I will be on this treadmill for 45 minutes if it kills me. I have a good pace, my heart rate is spot on.  My mind is wandering, my feet are hurting and I really want to go do something else. I don't know what, but something besides walking in place for a determined amount of time. I don't think I will make it the whole 45 minutes. I have been on this thing forever, and already want off. I look down, I have been on this thing for 3 minutes! I really need to get my head out of it. What's this, a television, don't mind if I do. I zone out for some time, walking, watching, and walking some more. PEE! Really! Fine, let's go use the bathroom you little princess. I am not cut out for this cardio thing, I'll be back. I return to my nemesis, I have 36 minutes left. At this rate I will be here all day. This is not fitting into my plan at all. I am supposed to fly through 45 minutes. But no, that is not how it works out. I start up the treadmill again, hoping for better results on this session. I finally finish the 45 minutes.

Cardio has been mastered for the day, now I must do more core exercises before I leave. I setup for the plank and instantly shake. I think every muscle in my mid section was on strike. I felt like I was uncontrollably shaking and everyone was looking.  I did 3 planks, held them for 10 seconds. The Pushups I did yesterday were very hard. But I must do some today, and I know they will be equally difficult. Pushups, you didn't scare me away. They looked ugly but I am moving, and it takes movement to make progress. My next thing is pull ups. I walk over to the assisted pull up machine and I felt as though it knew I needed it. I am not good at pull ups now, so yes, I will be needing your assistance. I put the weight I need for it to offset my weight. I pull up and get 12 pretty easy, now I rest and by this time I am very tired. This feeling of tired could be diet, cardio, or a combination of the two. I give it another go, this 12 was 100 times harder? What did I do wrong? I rest again, then give it another go. Pull, get to 11, and half of 12. This will do it for me at the gym, I am going home so I can eat. I feel very tired and extremely hungry.While I am walking out of the gym I realize just how tired I am. I enjoy the exhaustion, I know it's a good thing what I'm feeling. This is a tired from working, not a tired from being lazy. 

I get home and all I can think about is eating. I make myself a spinach salad, can of tuna, black beans, 1 tomato, and a tiny splash of balsamic. This salad was amazing, and gone in seconds. I love how hungry I become when I work out and eat more often. Then again it is also very trying on my discipline. I just want to eat more and more. 

It is now evening time, we had dinner, I had meal 6. It is delicious chicken breast, rice and veggies. I always know I am on a strict diet when I eat every grain of rice off my plate. I am really starting to feel the soreness also. When I cough, my stomach hurts. When I reach my arms hurt. When I lay back on the couch I fall, because my abs are toast. This is change, and change hurts. I read the comments from yesterday, and some of you said you are starting now too! Tell me how it's going in the comments, share what you are feeling with me. Let's be a team and get through the pain.

Meet Wilson, my Nalgene bottle. 


My salad/meal 4:
1Cup spinach, can tuna, 1/2cup black beans, 1 tomato (Thanks Uncle Rob) Splash Balsamic.



Thank you for reading.
Jay

16 comments:

  1. Jay your hard work will pay off! Onve you get over that hump you will be doing workouts like no ones business and have so much more energy! Please dont give up! You can do it! You have an amazing wife who will push you and myself and all your fans! Lots of Love from my family to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s I typed that too fast lol waaaay too many typos ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain Jay! I started crossfit about a month ago and after my first session I was in so much pain it was unreal, everything hurt so bad and I was like why did I do it to myself. Now a month later, I still get DOMS after a workout, but nowhere near as bad as that first time, plus I'm feeling stronger and fitter every week that passes. Keep pushing Jay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay , Tomorrow is the day for me , my life coach/ trainer is gonna explain the fitness stuff to me , going to start at 3x a week and i'm getting a diet to follow ,so ...very excited for tomorrow xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate how honest you are about the process of getting out of bed & actually working out in the gym.

    Maybe just a little tip, don't eat that much eggs, it's not good for you. Try to keep it at a maximum of 3 eggs a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Jay! I started my journey two months ago. I will NEVER forget the soreness I felt that first day! I couldn't walk right for three days! I now go 6 days a week for two hours a day. I am able to run and play with my girls and I feel amazing! You got this! I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be so worth feeling good in your clothes again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep going, Jay! I love your honest and raw explanations of how you are feeling through this. You are motivating me to get off my butt too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget your healthy fats, Jay! Balance those macronutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i signed up for the gym this sunday gone and needed some motivation ....alas i found some in you jay. I know i dont know you but i feel like you are motivating me to get off my bottom and get it done and in turn seeing you do this everyday is keeping me from straying..thanks bro

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go Jay! You can do it. It's amazing how fast you can build up your fitness. Rome wasn't built in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only just seen this Jay and I'm here cheering you on hunnie you are a true inspiration and Sam will be right there beside you every step the way and do will we keep strong and determined and you'll get there because you are an amazing husband , Dad and person sending you all my love Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jay you're doing great! The first few weeks are the hardest, because its easy to want to quit before even getting started! Once you start seeing results, feeling more energetic, and seeing yourself get faster and stronger, you'll be addicted!!! Adopting a healthy lifestyle isn't easy, but so rewarding in the end! keep up the hard work! I'll be here cheering you on, and being motivated by YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that salad with tuna actually looks amazingly good

    ReplyDelete
  15. IF you need that little UMPH before the gym and something that is going to push your focus as well as push your body, I have started taking a supplement called animal rage and I don't know what I was doing before but it wasn't working out.... it was lazing about the gym not caring what happens...this stuff works. google it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jay-I am inspired. I have been putting this same thing off for awhile.

    Can you PLEASE post what you eat every 2 hours?
    I love the ingredients and photo of meal 4.

    TK

    ReplyDelete