Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day After Cheat Day (Day 6)

Waking up this morning is different than usual.  It's Monday and my week of this healthy lifestyle begins once again. It is the day after cheat day and two day's being away from the gym. This time away is very refreshing both physically and mentally. On Saturday's I don't go to the gym but I stay strict with eating. When Sunday comes around the day is very relaxed. I continue eating every 2 hours, but I am not nearly as concerned with what goes in my body. Sunday is also a day I don't go to the gym. I really love my cheat day and look forward to it all week. I do feel a little guilty for it the day after, but that's the point. I have always had a cheat day, they make me stick to eating good all week and avoiding temptation. I know on Sunday, I will fulfill my food fantasies. I didn't go overboard on Sunday with my yummy snacks and desserts. I had a few Hebrew National hot dog's, Sam's amazing homemade pasta, an ice cream sandwich and sweet tea.

Monday, I finally spring out of bed, feeling better than I have for the past couple of days. I have recovered fully and feel great, the problem is I don't want to do anything fitness related. I had a nice time off, and now it is back to doing what I have to do, not what I want. I feel like I am having an internal battle with myself, constantly telling my body what to do. My body then argues and makes me feel like being lazy is the way of life. I made a goal to change my life so this is what I plan to do. I am not doing something temporary, it is a way of life. I will be doing this forever. My plan isn't to quit in a certain amount of time or when I achieve the results I want. I am changing for life.

Off to the gym I go, dreading it with every bone in my body. I arrive and think to myself that I will only stay for an hour. I plan to do a few exercises then cardio. I start off with stretching, then proceed to my other exercises. First off is a plank then ball pushes, side raises, pushups, and crunches on a stability ball. The plank went better than it did last week. My insides didn't shake nearly as bad as before. I do it two more times and on the second attempt I fail miserably after what felt like 10 seconds. Those few seconds on the last plank were made possible by the first two attempts. My pushups felt good. They felt as though my muscle were starting to turn back on and knew what to do after all this time.

I finish my exercises and 45 minutes has passed already. Well the only thing that makes sense is to do 15 minutes of cardio. I make my way to the treadmill and hop on, push start and away I go. A couple of seconds into my session I notice a sign on the treadmill, 'no sound.' For the strangest reason, I am to lazy to get onto another treadmill, but I will walk on this one for 15 minutes. I stay and deal with no sound which I later regret. I continue on the treadmill and really want to stop but I must keep going. I plan to only do 15 minutes on this thing but my goal is to do 45 minutes per day. If I start short changing myself now, I should just quit altogether. I am already here, so I do the 45 minutes. The first 30 go by pretty well, with no problems other than feeling very tired. I am so happy that I have 15 to go. The last 15 minutes are going to be a piece of cake because I have already completed 30. Ten minutes ticks by, the timer reads 5 minutes to go and I am ready to run out of the gym screaming. I don't understand how 15 minutes is acceptable, but 5 minutes is hell? I am almost finished, 1 minute hits the timer. Stay focused, you can do a minute. Beep. Finally, I can get off this thing.

I start to head home and realize that I am starting to feel a little better. I don't feel like an elite athlete by any means but I am starting to feel a tiny bit better. It takes a lot of work to feel a tiny bit better. When I workout and eat better, I feel like doing more things. This in return, takes me to gym more, then returns more energy. It is a precious cycle, and everyone should be apart of it. I remember how I used to feel when I would work out and eat better, now I am starting to feel that way again. I am surprised to feel so good already only after a few days. I started out the day not interested in my goals at all. Today began with no desire to eat properly, go the gym or even complete my cardio. I have completed all the tasks assigned by myself and feel very accomplished.

That evening was perfect for a nice walk with Sam and the kids. It was the best way to end the day.

Photos from our walk:




Thanks for reading.
Jay


7 comments:

  1. Good job Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you Jay! You're doing so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing great jay! Keep it up!!

      Delete
  4. trish pacheco9/10/13, 6:06 PM

    Thanks Jay. I started back 2 months ago and trying Pilates and Boot camp 3 times a week. I have noticed some differences in my body. Love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Jay!!! You are such an inspiration!! I love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I read your blog I just smiled. It's like the same words you typed are the same words that jumble in my head before I go for a run or to the gym. I have a love-hate relationship with working out. I hate it before and during but love it after...lol. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your journey with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete